Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Thankful.

Lately, I've been in such a piss poor mood.  (I'm not even gonna try and sugar coat it).  I don't know what it is.  I have nothing in particular to be down about.  It just seems like everything is pulling me in that direction.  Even the things that usually bring me joy, lately haven't so much.

We have a vendor that comes to our office every Thursday to pick up his check.  If he's not going to be there, he calls.  This morning the ladies in the office and I were talking about how he didn't come in Thursday or Friday and hadn't called either.  We thought it was really out of his character.  He usually always calls.  We were all just really hoping everything was ok.  He and his brother are some of the nicest people we work with.   We were thinking about calling him later in the day to make sure everything was alright.

About an hour later, he walked into our office.  We kinda teased him "Oh, hey!  Where have you been?  We've been getting worried.  We were about to call to make sure everything's alright."  He got very serious and said "No, not everything is alright.  I had to go to a funeral last week."  We said our apologies.  He continued, "I won't be here this Thursday either.  I have another funeral to go to."  We all looked at each other and sadness overcame us all.  The poor man was trying to hold it together. "Yeah, this one is a sad one.  She was just 20 years old and took her own life.......then about an hour ago, I got a call from my brother.  Our uncle passed away.  He had cancer.  We knew it was coming, but...it's still just so sad."

None of us knew what to say.  He is such a kind man and to see the sadness in his eyes, I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.  He was hurting, and it showed.  Three funerals in two weeks for family members.  I couldn't imagine.  We usually have to tease him him to get him to talk a lot.  We joke with him and make him laugh.  Today, he needed to talk.  He needed to get the hurt off his chest.  He volunteered the information as if saying out loud would make it easier to accept.

Sometimes it takes someone else to remind you of how good you actually have it.  I needed that reminder.  My family and I are healthy.  If you don't have your health, what do you have?  Really, we have it all, and that in itself should make me happy.  Tomorrow is a new day, and that I am thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment