Friday, October 8, 2010

Runner.


I've always thought there was something special about runners.  I don't know what it is.  I used to envy long distance track runners.  They must have so much discipline to be dedicated to do something that seemed so tiring and boring.  I used to think it would be so cool to say, "I can run 5 miles or 10 miles.  I can run from Arroyo Grande to Santa Maria if I wanted to!"  Or as in the case of Sunday, from San Luis to Shell Beach.

After I started running with Running Grrrl, it never really dawned on me that I was a runner.  I'd go out nearly every day after work, meet up with my club every Saturday, and run up to 6 miles a day.  Still, I never thought to call myself a runner.  It wasn't until I got this injury that it really phased me.  I have a running related injury, common among runners.  At first I was thinking "Awesome!  I really am a runner!  I feel it's official now!"

My near 6 week running hiatus has been a lot harder than I thought it would.  At first I thought it was going to be a nice little break.  That idea lasted about 2 weeks.  I really, really began to miss it.  I missed being outside in the fresh air, meeting with the girls, and just the entire way running makes me feel.  I'd see runners on the road and hate them just a little bit!

Today, I ran my first post injury release run.  It was only a mile, because I have to take it easy.  But it felt sooo great.  I ran hard.  I ran fast.  I was so out of breath!  I loved being back out there!  Running is such a unique sport.  I am amongst those people I envied.  Now, I proudly lift my chin up, with a big smile on my face and announce "I am a runner!"


No comments:

Post a Comment