Monday, December 20, 2010

Home

I've been thinking a lot about what home is to me. Home isn't just Arroyo Grande. Home is my family in Santa Maria, the ranch in Paso, the townhouse in Salinas. Home is the village, downtown SLO, the Mesa. Home is the Central Coast.

As I ponder over my future and what I want for my life, I've had to consider the fact that I will most likely have to leave home to accomplish those goals. The University of Denver has a Media, Film and Journalism department. Those are 3 of my top interests, hobbies, and loves all rolled into one. I had no idea such a thing existed! The fact that it does has me so eager to learn more, eager to continue my education, see what it's all about, get a degree and do what I love.

There's a saying that goes "Great love and great achievements involve great risk." I would be leaving everything I know, everything that I am, and everyone I have. It would be the biggest risk I have ever taken. The idea alone terrifies me.

I would not get the focus on media and film if I went to Cal Poly. I have no interest in general journalism. I love the fact that my education would be more focused on digital media if I went to Denver. That's what I'm interested in. That's the direction I want to take.

Transferring is in my distant future and not something I need to decide tomorrow, but it is something I need to prepare and plan for. Whether or not it is Denver I choose, I will most likely be leaving my home. There are many positives that can come from such a change, but it doesn't soften the blow (so to speak).

But I know that no matter where I go or what I do, I can always come home. This will always be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment