Wednesday, December 29, 2010

In someone else's words.

There is so much I can say about my love for writing.  There are many, many quotes that can easily translate my feelings about it.  Here are a few of my favorites and why I like them.  

The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say.  
~Anaïs Nin

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.  
~William Wordsworth

These quotes are similar to the one on my banner.  I stumble over words when I speak.  When I write, my thoughts flow.  I can't get them down as fast as they come.  I communicate my thoughts better in writing.  When I'm angry or sad, writing eases my emotion and calms me down.  Writing lets me express the words that are difficult for me to say. 

Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.  
~E.L. Doctorow

If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. 
~Lord Byron

These quotes makes me laugh.  When I write, my thoughts can go a million miles a minute.  I can go from one subject to another before I even finish my thought on the first!  I start to fill overwhelmed, stressed, when I don't write things down and get them off my chest.  Writing is my therapy.  I can literally go crazy filled up with emotion if I don't get it out!

And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise.  The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.  
~Sylvia Plath

I've always been a writer.  Writing was my favorite thing to do in school, whether it was a creative writing assignment or an essay in history.  Then I'd go home and write more in my journal.  But it wasn't until recently that I actually admitted to myself I wanted to be a writer.  "The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt."  My self doubt was questioning my ability to make a career out of my love of writing.  

Write down the thoughts of the moment.  Those that come unsought for are commonly the most valuable.  
~Francis Bacon

Writing became such a process of discovery that I couldn't wait to get to work in the morning:  I wanted to know what I was going to say.  
~Sharon O'Brien

The best time for planning a book is while you're doing the dishes.  
~Agatha Christie

So true!  I can have nothing on my mind, but once I put my pen to paper and let my thoughts flow, I never know where I will end up!  I have little notes in all of my purses, scattered in and on my desk.  I have a list in my phone.  You never know when those ideas or phrases will come to you!

Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them.  
~Nathaniel Hawthorne

To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the inner music the words make.  
~Truman Capote

I love these quotes!  Taylor Swift said something similar about when she discovered poetry.  She said she realized you could make words bounce of the page.  Good writing is live writing.  You can see it when you read it.

1 comment:

  1. Lacy, I love reading your blogs. They're just so honest. Anyways, to throw in my two cents. One of my favorite quotes- "It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection"- The Bhagavad Git.

    ReplyDelete