Sunday, December 5, 2010

Try, try again.

I signed up for a couple of classes at Hancock next semester.  This will be my 5th time going back to a JC, since I graduated in '02.  But it's the first time I'm going where I actually feel really good about my decision.  I have a plan.  I have a goal.  I have reason to want to be there.  Before, I never really did.

When I went to college right out of high school, I had no reason to go other than "that's what you're supposed to do after you graduate."  My heart wasn't in it.  I didn't try.  I didn't show up.  A couple classes I didn't even drop and took a failed grade.  I even tried going to Cuesta thinking that might light a fire under me.  It didn't.  The last time I went back was in 2007.  I took 4 classes and actually got straight A's.  The best grades I had since high school.  I was in a better frame of mind.  I still didn't know what I was going for, but I wanted to be there.

I love to learn, and lately I haven't been feeling challenged enough.  Getting a degree is something I really want for myself.  The older I've gotten, the more important to me it's becoming.  I have a focus now too, and that makes all the difference.

The other day at work I was given a new job to write emails back to the customer's who give us feedback.  My coworker chimed in to tell the guy who asked me to do the job "This is right down her alley.  I'll have you know, she's going back to school to be a writer!"

"A writer."  My goal.  It's all I've ever wanted to be.  It just took me awhile to figure out.  So it's back to school I go.  Only this time I couldn't be more excited to follow through and finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment