Wednesday, August 25, 2010

PBR Fresno

March 18-20, 2010

**Side note - I know my Wednesdays are supposed to be like "flashbacks," but I haven't had the time to go back into old pictures, scan them in, and get a good story going. So I'm sticking with events that are fairly recent, but still in the past. It's kinda cheating, I know.

My mom and sister got really into the PBR a couple years ago. I admit, I thought it was really lame. But we're not sports fans, we can care less about baseball, football or basketball. But then my dad started getting into it too, and I felt totally left out. I said to myself "Okay, get over it. They all talk about it. You have nothing to say. What's wrong with it anyway? It's manly cowboys, riding big, scary, tough bulls. They can get seriously injured. You have no interest in anything else. Give it a chance!" So I did, and now I like it. We try to go to the PBR events when they are in California. By the way, watching it in person, is SOOO much better than watching it on TV - like any sporting event, I guess.

The opening show totally gets you pumped out. Dirt, fire, smoke, cowboys. Love it.




It's like a sea of cowboys hats behind the chutes. They all help each other prepare, get on and "saddle up" their bulls.


This is Ryan McConnell. He's one of our favorite riders. He's only 23 years old. He hits himself in the face before he gets on the bulls. (Yes, you read that right). When he rides a bull for the full 8 seconds he does this surfing, dance move. Whatever. It's funny, and that's why we like him!


This is JB Mauney. He's my sister's favorite rider. Unfortunately, my favorite rider has been out due to injury. JB is cocky, and it sucks because he has total reason to be. He is a very good, talented rider. I make fun of him, because he's a gum smacker. You'd think he's gnawing on a bone the way he chews it. Seriously.


Renato Nunes won the event. He had 2 or 3 over 90 point rides that weekend (or was that in Sacremeto? I can't remember).


He just made A LOT of money in a few hours. He rode maybe 4 bulls at 8 seconds each. He basically made a big chunk of change in less than a minute. I'd be smiling that big too!


I thought this PBR event would make for a good post, because I'm actually going to another one this weekend in Ontario. I've got my cowboy boots and cowbell ready to go! (Yes, I realize how hillbilly I just made myself sound right now). It's all in good fun, and good fun it is!

These PBR events have become more than just fun and games to me though. My family and I used to go on yearly vacations growing up. As we got older, those vacations dwindled down to every few years, if we're lucky. They've become nice little weekend getaways with my mom, dad and sister. We're away from the stresses and distractions of our lives. It takes me back to being a kid going on those family vacations. The best part about it, is now I actually enjoy their company on an adult level. We have good conversation. It's good bonding. It's good time to spend with each other.

Someday (hopefully) we'll get married and start having families of our own. Knowing this time wont last forever, makes it that much more enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment