Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Birdhouse.

Back in April my sister moved into her house. (I know that was kind of a long time ago, but I really want to show what we did)! She was having a housewarming party, and I really wanted to get her something special. I was also looking to find some sort of little project, so I figured with my Nana's help, we could make her a pretty top-notch birdhouse.


My extremely handy and creative Nana went to the hardware store and picked up some sturdy, weather proof wood. She cut out each of the sides to make a 10" x 10" house. The way we designed it was that it will have 2 openings (doors) one in front and one in back. The 2 sides will have windows.


The above picture shows the 2 sides with windows. We got a thin, flexible piece of plastic to act as glass in the windows. The bottom piece of wood is how we designed the base. The birdhouse will slide inside the middle and the birds will have a little "deck" to walk around on.


My uncle came up with the idea of creating the birdhouse to resemble a Starbucks. Because honestly, who doesn't like Starbucks?


This is the front and one of the sides. I found myself making excuses (if you can really call them that) to go get some cold drinks, so that I could save my cups. We cut out the logos and glued them to the plastic of the windows.




I have to say, I think the ending result turned out pretty damn cute! It was a joint effort too. My Nana cut the wood, did the measuring, and the technical stuff I didn't know how to do. My Uncle came up with the creative Starbucks theme and even welded the post for the house to sit on. I painted, and glued, and hammered, and drank lots of frappuccinos!

And you know what? Even the birds love it!

1 comment: