Sunday, May 15, 2011

Church.

     My family never regularly attended church.  Both my parents were raised Catholic, and both had stopped attending regularly when their parents didn't make them go.  When they wanted to get married, a Catholic priest would not marry them, because they didn't attend church and practice their religion regularly.  This really offended my mom and turned her against the Catholic religion.
     As young children, my sister and I were both baptized as Christians.  We would attend church every so often with my aunt, uncle and cousins.  We never really spoke much about religion in my house, and any questions I had I would always talk to my aunt.  In middle school, I started regularly attending a youth group with some friends.  It was more of a social gathering, than something I really did for myself.
     I've always felt I have a good relationship with God.  I never questioned His existence.  I've always prayed throughout my life.  I always knew and continue to know He is looking over me.  For about the past 3 years, I've really started to feel like I need more of Him in my life.  I've never felt comfortable in church, so I've always avoided going.  I think a lot of what I didn't like, was that I didn't understand it.  When I attended as a child, I found it to be boring and to take forever.  Worship kinda made me uncomfortable.  I prefer to be close to God in private.
     When we started going to PBR events, we would go to the church services held in the arena Sunday mornings.  In one small section of this huge arena is a small handful of people worshiping God.  It's become one of my favorite parts of the PBR.  I really love that you feel the presence of God in that big arena.  Being able to sit next to and pray with your favorite bull rider, really makes you feel closer to them as individuals.  It's like you feel the struggles they deal with out on the road, being away from their families, the temptations, and putting their lives on the line.  I would always leave PBR church feeling good, refreshed, content, and optimistic.  It made me realize I need more of church in my life.
     Today, I attended Harvest Church with my sister.  I've been meaning to go for the past few months.  I could just never bring myself to get out of bed Sunday mornings.  I am so glad I did.  I realized that church is what I've been missing.  I think so deeply about everything, so church is actually kind of an emotional place for me to be.  It's an overwhelming feeling of faith, love, and understanding.  To be around people who care so deeply and believe whole-heartedly in Him.  When they raise their hands to Him.  When they sing to Him.  When we pray to Him.  Speak to Him.
     I felt comfortable.  I felt welcomed.  I felt Him in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment