Thursday, April 14, 2011

Missed Connections.

You guys are going to think I am totally lame, but hear me out.  First, let me start in defense for myself.  I browse Craigslist all the time.  I like to keep in the know of the cost of rent, what's out there to rent, even some of the homes they have posted for sale.  I'm always curious to see what kind of jobs are available.  Maybe I could get a part time job in my free time.  (What free time)??  I like looking at the animals for sale or free to a good home.  I like browsing through the furniture to see what kind of great deal I could get.  My sister got her kitchen table for 100 bucks.  One man's trash is another man's treasure, and I love DIY projects.
The other day I was looking at the CL "home page."  I never really pay much attention to the left side of the page, cause really "personals" kinda creep me out.  But there's a section called "missed connections," that I felt compelled to click on.  What does that even mean?  Missed connections?  So, I clicked it.
It's kinda creepy, kinda heartwarming, kinda sad, kinda hopeful, kinda weird, kinda endearing.  Have you ever checked it out?  I'm assuming not.  People basically post their interest in getting to know someone.  For example:  Saw you at _____ on ____.  You were wearing _____.  We spoke for a few minutes about _____.  I felt there was a connection there.  Did you feel it too?  
There was another that I thought was actually pretty thoughtful.  A guy posted something about a girl who was totally drunk or drugged out (can't remember), that he was concerned about.  He had helped her out of the bar and into a car.  He didn't know who she was and he was basically just concerned that she made it home safely and was...well, alive.
I'm gonna go on the hopeful assumption that not all the people who post those threads are total creepers. In that light, it makes it much more romantic.  Haven't we all had those random run-ins with someone, where you're just kicking yourself later?  It is really hard to meet new people, especially single people.  There aren't a whole lot of options for those looking for love.
Of course some of them are totally inappropriate.  It just makes me feel less alone.  I am surrounded by people who have someone.  It puts my little heart at ease knowing other people are lonely too, that I'm not the last single person in the world (when sometimes it feels like it).  It gives me hope in a time when so much of the world is negative, so much in my life is negative, so much in my head is negative.  It puts a little smile on my face when realizing, we all want to love and be loved in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment