Thursday, February 10, 2011

An Education's Worth.

Everyone always tells me how important getting an education is, but in this economy it doesn't really matter.  People with major degrees are working low end jobs, if at all.  And it really doesn't matter that they have a degree, they're not getting paid more than someone without one.  Besides I'm not even guaranteed a job in the field I'm interested in.  I'm not even guaranteed to use what I major in at all.  So does it really make getting an education worth it?
I heard that majority of students who graduate don't go into the field they major in.  Just recently there was a study that pretty much said the first 2 years of college are a waste.  Nowadays an education isn't hard to come by.  Most people in this generation do go to college.  I'm not really standing out above the rest to have a degree.
But I've finally found something I'm interested in.  I found something I want to pursue.  I want to learn about.  I want to earn a degree in it, and I want a career working in that field.  I think I could be good at it without the education, but I could be really good with an education.  I've finally figured it out.  I am sure the education will be worth it.  But will the debt I go into to get it also be worth it?
I'm not so sure. Honestly. The school that I want to go to that I think will give me the best education has an outrageously high tuition.  I do not want thousands, and thousands, and thousands of dollars in debt looming over for me for the next 20 years.  Tack that on to the expenses of life, and I might as well just stick with the dead end jobs.  Forget buying a house.  And what if I marry a guy who has debt, then it's like twice as many problems to worry about.  That's a lot of of responsibility for just starting out.
I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run, but that's a lot to take on.

No comments:

Post a Comment