Sunday, February 27, 2011

Culture Crushed

I just read something in my psychology book that really caught my attention.  It stated that if we were to have fallen asleep in 1960 and awoke today, we would find ourselves in a culture where people sleep less, work more, and spend less time with family and friends.

The other day I came across this article. Considering I'm at a time in my life, where I feel like I am never going to get ahead, this is all striking me hard. In 1970, the average worker brought home $312 a week (in 1982 dollars). But in 1970, they didn't have the amount of state, federal and local taxes, medicare, social security, and retirement coming out of their weekly paycheck. These add up to about $100 a week, $400 a month. I currently barely bring home more than that $300 a week.

The cost of housing has gone up nearly 50%. "Remember, that number accounts for inflation, so what that number actually means it that the cost of a home requires 50% more of a person's paycheck than it did in 1970." It's not like I'm making 50% more, so how will I ever afford to own a home that costs 50% more, on the same salary?

Then there are the other necessities of life that have evolved into our lives: a cell phone, computer, internet connection, a vehicle, gas for that vehicle, insurance for that vehicle, etc. I am paying more bills now than they did in the 1970's just to keep me connected. A cell phone used instead of a home phone. A computer with internet connection to use for school or finding employment. Especially in our area where public transportation is nearly a joke, a vehicle is required, but they require maintenance and that adds up.

And then there's education.  Everyone stresses the importance of a good education, but the cost is nearly 30% higher than it was in 1970. That's 30% more debt to pay off on a $300 a week income.

Of course, now we live in a culture where we tend to sleep less, spend time with friends and family less, and to work more.  We have to work more to bring in a higher income to support the demands of a lifestyle we have grown accustomed to. Don't you think it's weird when you run into someone who doesn't own a cell phone or a computer?  It's just not the norm these days. So even though our culture has changed, grown, and become more demanding, the money we earn hasn't increased to sustain this lifestyle of our ever changing culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment