Saturday, February 19, 2011

Community

Today has been a miserable day.  It's wet, rainy, cold, windy.  It's all the ingredients for a day consisting of wrapping up in a blanket on the couch and watching old shows on TV Land...or Lifetime movies.  (Don't judge, they're so bad they're good)!  But what I did this afternoon was quite the opposite.

There's a 20 year old girl from Nipomo, who has been diagnosed with a tumor for the second time.  I don't know this girl, but she is a friend of a friend and a friend of relatives.  They were hosting a benefit BBQ for her today, so my sister and I went.  There had to of been 50-60 people waiting in line the entire time we were there.  We were all waiting in the cold, the rain, the wind, and even for a little bit the lightening and thunder.  People were passing around their umbrellas and giving nods of understanding.  We were all out there for one reason, to support Laney.  We bared the weather with no complaint.

I saw cousins, old friends, new friends, acquaintances, and people I didn't expect to see.  I feel so fortunate to live in a community where people come together and help one another.  Where people suffer through miserable conditions for a worthier cause.  It was so heartwarming to be out there, knowing that my little bit of contribution is invaluable to Laney, her family, and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment