Friday, January 28, 2011

Doubtful.

Doubt (–verb)to be uncertain about something; be undecided in opinion or belief.

I think doubt stems from fear, most of it anyway.  When you are certain of something, you have no question.  You are confident in your decision.  What is there to fear when you are sure?  I find myself doubtful often.  Doubt can create more problems than it's worth.  Doubt can hold you back from many things.  Doubt can change your life, and not always for the better.

Of course there's good doubt.  If you are doubting something because you have a bad feeling, that is good.  If you are doubting something because you don't have all the facts, that is good.  If you are doubting something solely because you have fear of the uncertainty, that is not good.  Risk is good for you, and I like to play it safe.

I have fear of the uncertainty.  I like to know, be sure, be confident in my decisions and actions.  I need to work on becoming more of a risk taker.  Small steps for sure.  But in playing it safe, it's like expecting things to happen for me.  I have to make things happen for myself, take chances, and those are not always the safest moves.  But what's the worst than can happen?  I can fail.  I've learned failure builds character, experience, knowledge.  Really, failing isn't all that bad.  I'd rather have tried and failed, than to have never tried at all.

I'm gonna start with small risks, maybe just by stepping out of my comfort zone a little more.  Strike up a conversation with the cute guy at the store.  Try something new.  Tackle these college classes.  Try Indian food.  I dunno!  Just something.  Because doubt can hold you back, and I want to charge it ahead!


One of my favorite quotes is by Confucious.  He said "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."  Good words to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment